Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:34:03 GMT
From:      ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Nawaf Razak" <shesha@btinternet.com>
Cc:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Desktop setup hints

Nawaf

 > Hmmm cant say I found much on the setup process for the x desktop.
 >
 > For example lets say I have a background image i like located in the folder /junk now I want this image to be ehh the background image for my desktop everytime I run startx.. where do I go one about it ..?
 >
 > the .xinitrc ???
 >
 > Okay if it then how ? wonder if there are any documents on that topic or not.. cant say that the book version is very helpful.

I use xv from my .xinitrc file:

xv -root -max -rmode 5 -quit ~ruth/pics/zen.gif &

(this is a scanned photo of my cat - her name is zen! - I know that's
corny, but of all the cats I've known she deserves the name)

I use the twm window manager.

also see xsetroot(1)

how did I find out how to do this ? - actually my son told me! -
he had just started at university doing computing and spent
some time setting up his environment.... how did he find out ? - I
don't know!

I think one problem with finding out how to do things is hitting on
the right keyword when looking in indexes, doing searches etc.
In this case it's 'root', e.g. run apropos(1) with 'root' as the
parameter and it comes up with xsetroot, which tells you what you
want to know.

ruth

Ruth Moulton            ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Consultant

65 Tetherdown,
London N.10 1NH, UK     Tel:+44 181 883 5823