Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:29:25 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp & cable, @home (help me fight the MS monopoly)

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 09:34 am, Louis LeBlanc, or somone very much
like Louis LeBlanc, wrote:
> On 09/26/01 07:25 AM, Mike Porter sat at the `puter and typed:
>
> This seems the hard way.  I am in the process (a long one,
> unfortunately) of switching from a RH6.2 system to a FreeBSD system on
> my cable modem with AT&T Broadband.  The DHCP thing is one of my
> holdups.  I know that with dhcpcd distributed with Linux (not pump)
> it is easy to get a script executed every time you get a lease/renewal
> from the server.  Why wouldn't the FreeBSD dhcp client do the same
> thing?   This would allow you to reset your firewall automatically.

It is only hard when they change my IP.  Since they change my IP less than
once a quarter, the time involved in learning the configuration format seems
negligible.  Also, there are some games I like to play under windows, so I
find myself rebooting from time to time anyway, just to boot windows.

Also, you misunderstand the point of the firewall problem:  merely resetting
isn't difficult, and (I think?) its supposed to happen in the default
scripts, since it is configured through /etc/rc.conf.  The problem is that I
have added a bunch of the anti-spoofing rules from the ipfilter tutorial
site, and THOSE won't change dynamically, even though I can change *my* ip
dynamically.  In fact, under ipfilter, I just have to run ipf -Y and it wil
reinitialize all the rules.

The problem is that the only times my IP has changed, it has gone from a
24.x.x.x family to a 65.x.x.x family and back, which invalidates the
anti-spoofing rules, since those operate on the 24.x.x.255 and 24.x.x.0
addresses if I am in a 24-family IP, but on 65.x.x.255 and .0 for the
65-family IP's.  This means that the entire ruleset must be rewritten, not
just a matter of flushing the tables and refreshing my own personal IP.  I
suppose if I was really ambitious, it would be possible to write some perl or
sed or awk that would strip the first three octets from my ifconfig data, and
then supply a 255 and a 0, and restructure some of the other rules as well.
And as previously noted, that could be tied to dhclient-exit-hooks.  But my
wife would object to the time spent.

All I can say is, my way works well enough for me, for the time I have
available to dedicate to the problem.

BTW, to reset your firewall, I think all you have to do, if you are using the
default ipfw setup, is have dhclient-exit-hooks run /etc/rc.firewall restart.
 I thought it was supposed to be included in the default dhclient-script but
perhaps I'm wrong about that.

mike