Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:06:59 -0500
From:      "Lonny Byrd" <byrd@vol.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mounting

After attempting to mount an msdos partition using the command;

mount -t msdos ...

My BIOS (AMiBiOS) no longer detects the drive correctly, it is a Maxtor
8.4GB drive which is now detected in both amibios and award modular bios as
a 2GB drive.  Using Amibios I get a IDE error which does not allow the drive
to work at all.  I was able to get Award Modular bios allow the computer to
boot up properly with the drive in place, but my boot disk now says that the
drive is unformatted, and when I go into fdisk and try to look at the
partitions on the drive it automatically kicks me out.  I am quite upset
about this, as I have just lost nearly 8GB of important data.  Any help
would be appreciated as to how I can get my data back and/or get the drive
working properly in FreeBSD and in Windows...It has (or had) a 2GB FAT16
partition at the beginning and then the rest was formatted using FAT32.

Lonny