Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:56:57 -0700
From:      Yi-Hua Edward Yang <yeyang@ISI.EDU>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   bge driver problem for BCM5754 on 6.2 stable

Hi,

I install FreeBSD 6.1 on a new Dell Precision 390,
which has an on-board BCM5754 GbE NIC that was not
recognized. A quick look into the CVS shows that its
support is added at if_bge.c rev. 1.91.2.15, later
than what is found in 6.1.

So I performed cvsup, rebuilt world and kernel with
if_bge as a separate module. Loading the module after
reboot put kernel to fatal trap 19. Furthermore, the
device "recognized" by the module is wrong - BCM5787
instead of BCM5754. (I checked with pciconf that the
on-board GbE does have the device ID of BCM5754.)

Below is the fatal trap message -

bge0: <Broadcom unknown BCM5787, ASIC rev. 0xb002> mem
0xecef0000-0xecefffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci4
kernel trap 19 with interrupts disabled

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc088c873
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe74caa48
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe74caa54
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = IOPL = 0
current process         = 547 (kldload)
[thread pid 547 tid 100071 ]
Stopped at      0xc088c873 = pcireg_cfgwrite+0xa3:      nop
db>

I suspect some problem in if_bge for BCM5754 when
merging the device driver source with HEAD after 6.1
release, but I do not have enough knowledge to debug
the driver. I hope someone with knowledge of if_bge
device driver source could help. Please let me know
if other information is needed. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Edward