Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Linux threading model

Ok, Terry,

I've thought of the best way that we can use your particular talents.

How about this..
We have a particular set of scheduling requirements:
1/ We want threads to have as much parallelism as possible given the
hardware
2/ We want a particular process to be able to contain 'subentities'
that can be scheduled with different policies. (we call them ksegroups)
3/ We want simple processes to behave exactly as now, and new processes
to compete with traditional processes on a basis SIMILAR to how
traditional processs compete with each other.
4/ Partly a corrolary to 3: A threaded process can not overwhelm a
system's scheduler with many threads. (we have a structure 'kse' that
may come in handy for this, but if you thnk of a better way,
consider it..
5/ improve handling of large numbers of threads.
6/ If possible allow selection of scheduler algorythms at run time (*)

(*) I said IF POSSIBLE..

Given these restraints, can you go through the literature,
pick out relevent examples,
and report back to us with scheduling schemes that may work for us.
You are also welcome to make up your own schemes based on what you read
or feel.

I'm not saying this is how we'll go, just that it's come time that
someone rescanned the literature again, and we could certainly do with
a discussion on the topic. You may recruit as many "scheduler gurus"
as you wish to help you.

Of particular interest to you shuld be:
1/ READ THE CURRENT CODE (kern_switch.c and proc.h)
2/ The mach and chorus schedulers if you can find info on them
3/ SAs
4/ Linucks new scheduler. (READ THE CODE)
5/ the Solaris scheduler re: LWPs

"Should you decide to accept this mission, the secretary will of course
deny any knowledge of your actions. This email will self destruct in
however long it takes you to hit the 'd' key."