Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:50:30 -0500
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        George Georgalis <george@galis.org>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EIDE drive performance improvements

Well, it looks pretty much the same as yours...

root@fait:~/ $ sysctl -a | grep hw.ata
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.atamodes: dma,---,---,---,

(There's no cdrom on this laptop) I added hw.ata.tags=1 to /boot/loader.conf and will try a reboot momentarily, can I get around the reboot? If it doesn't boot, how can I fix it?

As for 80-conductor cable on my drive, I don't know and won't be opening my laptop to find out... how could the OS tell how many conductors anyway? it's still 40 pin on each side right? The laptop was advertised as having a 100mhz bus and, not sure 66 or 100 DMA so I expect it has the 80 conductor cable.

Humm, dmesg identifies an ata33 controler... I _was_ able to speed things up under linux, whether they are the same speed now, not sure.

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xfcb0-0xfcbf at device 7.1 on pci0
ad0: 19077MB <IBM-DJSA-220> [38760/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

// George