Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:10:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, nrice@emu.sourcee.com, imp@village.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

Paul Richards wrote:
> Would it make sense to install the new mk files during the bootstrap
> target. The original idea I had for the bootstrap target was to deal
> with precisely these things, carry out steps required to bootstrap from
> the previously released version to current.

The issue here is that you can't necessarily parse the top level makefile
without consistent .mk includes, so your bootstrap target won't be
guaranteed of working. And a buildworld is not supposed to clobber
things on the host system, so you have to live with old installed .mk
files.

The answer is: don't use them. Except for parsing the top level makefile,
the current build system doesn't use the installed .mk files. When you
specify the -m argument on the command line, you get a consistent build.
W^5 (Which Was What We Wanted).

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137