Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:49:10 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TCP code (was Re: tcp_extenions=NO between to FreeBSD Hosts!?)

<<On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 10:04:52 +0100 (MET), Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> said:

> Maybe it's time to accept the idea that the TCP code is not carved on
> stone. I for one would be more than willing to work on it.

One of my long-term desires (parts of which you already see
implemented in -current) is to get rid of all the socket-buffer
nonsense in the TCP output path and do optimistic packet construction
(and keep these verbatim in a separate retransmission queue).  This
should eventually result in a much, much cleaner TCP implementation
which will have the additional benefit of running reasonably fast
when the network is behaving well, and no worse than it does now when
it is behaving badly.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick