Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:21:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: buf_ring(9) API precisions

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, K. Macy wrote:

>> Why are you making an MD guess, the amount of padding to fit the size of a
>> cache line, in MI API ? Strangely enough, you did not make this assumption
>> in, say r205488 (picked randomly).
>
> It has been several years, and I haven't done any work in svn in over a
> year, I don't remember. I probably meant to refine it in a later iteration.
>
> If you would like to send me a patch addressing this I'd be more than happy
> to apply it if appropriate. Otherwise, I will deal with it some time after 9
> settles.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm not sure if gcc (and friends) allow __aligned(CACHE_LINE_SIZE) to be used
on individual elements of a struct (causing appropriate padding to be added),
but that may be one option here.  Of course, that introduces a further
alignment requirement on the struct itself, so a moderate amount of care would
need to be used.

Robert