Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 15:05:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Sren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPDATE2: ATA/ATAPI driver new version available.

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:

# > Are you sure it tries to probe the slave ??
# > Could please try to have it printout scp->devices in ata_probe ??
#
# Here is a log of an attempted boot with ATA_DEBUG defined.  It looks like
# ata_probe() detected a slave where there isn't one.
#
# ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 IDE controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.5.1
# ata: type=71118086 class=01018001 cmd=02800005
[...]
# ata0: devices = 0x1
[...]
# ata1: devices = 0xc
[snip]

For what it's worth I get the same two lines:

	ata0: devices = 0x1
	ata1: devices = 0xc

So it found the master (the HD) on the first controller, but it
appears to find both a master and a slave on the second controller.
The problem is that the DVD-ROM doesn't appear to repsond correctly
to either of the attempts to determine which one it wants to be.

Just for grins I changed the ata_probe to ignore all but the first
controller and it is back to the ufs_dirbad panic. :(