Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:38:49 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jseger@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pilot-link log

  From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
   * Additionally, I think the best fix might likely involve fixing that other
   * port to not install a back-rev version of libreadline in /usr/local.

  What about the stuff that were installed before?  Not everybody starts
  with a clean /usr/local you know.

   * find /usr/local/lib /usr/lib -name libreadline\* | \
   * 	mail -s libreadline pst@shockwave.com
   *
   * on your 2.0 and 3.0 machines, I'd appreciate it.

  I don't have any 2.0 or 3.0's here, but I did it on my 2.2-stable
  package building machine. :)

Should have said 2.x.  I tried 2.2 + a bit, 2.2.5, and 3.0.  It
turns out that you and Justin are the only guys getting bit by this
because you probably have octave in /usr/local due to the fact that
you guys compile everything under the sun.

I also just fixed the two cross-gdb ports to behave like my gdb
port and not install bogus crap (this is just general housekeeping).
I'm currently fetching octave to try to reproduce the problem you're
seeing.

Now that we think we know what it is, how can we fix it?  Unfortunately,
I just looked at the man pages for ld and I'm a bit stumped.
Unfortunately, it says -L "adds to the path of directories to
search."  I think add=append.

That means, if the search path already looks like:

	-L/usr/local/lib -lfoo -lbar -lreadline
adding
	-L/usr/local/lib -lfoo -lbar -L/usr/lib -lreadline
is a noop.

I can't refer to the readline library with /usr/lib/libreadline.so.3.x
because the shared library version is going to change at some point.

You must have come across this kind of problem before, yes?
What did you do?