Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2013 01:42:15 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com, jack.vogel@gmail.com, atkin901@gmail.com, sthaug@nethelp.no
Subject:   Re: To SMP or not to SMP

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 03:54:43PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:00:31 am Barney Cordoba wrote:
> >=20
I do not think that cmpxchg uses implicit lock, and Intel IA32 SDM supports
this view. The absense of the lock prefix makes the instruction decode
faster, and removes the locked bus cycle.

It is xchg which is implicitely locked, but we no longer use it for unlock.

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J--