Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 22:37:35 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why no Master Index?

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:48:50AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 07:43:07PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Is there a reason why there is no Master Index/TOC for the FreeBSD
> > docs?
>
> This >   < much time.
>
> This >                         < many things to do.

Tell me about it!

> :-)
>
> > IMHO it would make sense to have a single point of entry into
> > the documentation set. The handbook and FAQ are the high profile docs
> > but the rest, especially the articles, are somewhat hidden from view
> > being referenced from the handbook and FAQ and pointed to people in
> > replies to questions.
>
> Couldn't agree more.
>
> [snip]
>
> Your example looked good.  Do you want to turn that in to HTML (based on
> the existing contents of www/en), and we can go from there.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

> You might want to take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html, and
> try trimming that down.  One way to do it would be to split things in two
> based on whether or not they're maintained by the project.
>
> So have a docs/index.html that offers the reader links to the two files,
> and an 'internal.html' that lists the project maintained docs, and an
> 'external.html' that lists the other stuff ('internal' and 'external' are
> crap names, please, come up with better ones :-) )

Hmm, <thinking cap on>

> I also wouldn't mind seeing a translation table that listed all the docs,
> and an indication of whether or not they've been translated. . .
>
>                          en     es     fr    ja    ru    zh
>    Handbook              x             x     x
>    FAQ                   x      x      x     x     x     x
>    FDP Primer            x
>    Porter's Handbook     x                   x
>    [...]
>
> This would be a separate page.

OK

> > As Nik has just suggested having the docs as a package to be installed
> > by sysinstall it would seem sensible to have something like this. In
> > fact I would go so far as to suggest that sysinstall automatically
> > installed a browser with the docs index as it's Home Page. Having the
> > docs "in your face" doesn't seem to be inappropriate for new users.
>
> Ye-es.

Although Neil Blakey-Milner pointed me to PR docs/14165 which you
folowed-up to by suggesting it be closed.

> Go through the archives and you'll find an effort by Andrew Boothman to
> create a process that would create and maintain an HTML index of all the
> documentation installed by ports/packages on a particular system (subject
> line was "Automatic documentation index").  Since I want to start
> encouraging people to treat our docs in exactly the same way we should
> (IMHO) leverage that work.  Then sysinstall doesn't have to do anything
> new.

Yes, where's he got to? I did send him a couple of patches but haven't
heard from him in ages. I'll e-mail him and see what's happening. If
he's dropped the project then I *may* take it up, but I'll be learning
perl at the same time, so don't expect too much ;)

BTW, this thread may get a bit dis-jointed; I'm having problems with my
ISP whereby my posts are taking >8 hours to show up on the lists, but
not to get to anyone else (you'll probably get this straight away, but
it won't show on -doc 'til tomorrow).

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX