Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 02:03:54 +0900 (JST)
From:      Arizona Coyote <coyote@ratbert.aisol.net>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

Hi,

I couldn't help but second Branson's well-given advice.

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Branson Matheson wrote:

>  I would start to purchase, read, and use the ora books. DNS and Bind,
>  NFS and NIS, Perl, and the others... use them as reference. Load a
>  free unix at home and work with it.. I have known MANY success
>  stories for people that started learning at home and now run a
>  multimillion dollar company. I am one.
>
>  One other suggestion, and mabey get this book first, Unix System
>  Adminstration Handbook, fondly called the Red Book. By Nemeth,
>  Snyder, Seebass, and Hein. Well worth it's weight in gold.  Good luck!

A serious UNIX SA will have a large library of O'Reilly books.  A good
book to start with is _Essential System Administration_ by AElen Frisch
commonly known as the Armadillo Book.

Still, I think the best way to learn how to be a UNIX SA is to be a UNIX
SA.  That means running, ruining, fixing, and fighting with your own
UNIX system.  There are several free UNIXes available, but to learn about
UNIX, I would recommend NetBSD.  Both Linux and FreeBSD have a lot of nice
tools that make installation more user-friendly.  NetBSD requires more
work to install and get your system up and running, but once it is
running, you will have learned a lot.

Mark Andres               E-mail: coyote@ratbert.aisol.net
  / 100% Microsoft Free thanks to NetBSD and FreeBSD! \
         Mac Centris 650: NetBSD 1.2-current
        IBM ThinkPad 220: FreeBSD 3.0-current
Macintosh IIcx: NetBSD 1.2.1 | http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/