Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:34:05 +1030
From:      "Thyer, Matthew" <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        "Wilkinson, Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Cc:        "'gallatin@cs.duke.edu'" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, "'fclift@verio.net'" <fclift@verio.net>, "'alpha@freebsd.org'" <alpha@freebsd.org>, "'obrien@FreeBSD.org'" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0 (fwd)

I'd hope we can split the Alpha boot floppies even further to get around these kind of problems.

What is required at minimum is the following:

- kern.flp: loader and kernel only (use leftover room for mandatory modules to be loaded + common modules.... i.e. whatever network modules we can fit).

   this kernel should have barely anything.... just enough to load modules from whichever copy of driver.flp that you need for your hardware.

- mfsroot.flp: the rest of sysinstall etc.

- fixit.flp: as usual but I'd like to get this to 1.44 MB as Alpha people need to recover too.

- driver.flp:

    A set of driver floppies would be available which could be read by the loader and allow the user to interactively choose which modules to load.

This would be similar to installing old Solaris x86 where you need to use "Driver Update" disks.

The boot process off install floppies would then go something like:

1) kern.flp
2) driver.flp
3) next driver.flp etc until you have loaded all the modules you need
4) mfsroot.flp

I'm not advocating this just to fix the Alpha problem... it would be a good move for any platform and would allow third parties to provide modules that could be used at install time.