Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 14:57:37 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Dennis Glatting <dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com>, freebsd-stable@frebsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pgm to kill 4.3 via vm

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 02:37:07PM -0700, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> >
> > I wrote a trivial program to fill vm and found I can reliably freeze my
> > system. It may not work on the first attempt, but certainly within three.
> > My command line is:
> >
> > 	a.out&;a.out&;a.out&;a.out&;a.out&
>
> What resource limits have you set?

In theory, the code at line 1124 and further in vm_pageout.c
should kill of of these processes and allow the system to
survive. The only way for the system to die is if this code
was broken by a recent change in the system...

[but yes, on a production system you'd want to run with sane
resource limits]

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/