Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2012 22:24:57 +0200
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexandr Kovalenko <alexandr.kovalenko@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] databases/mariadb55-{server|client} ports

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Alex Dupre <ale@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Thanks for noticing this. I'll submit another PR after this one is
>> commited to remove those headers from -client and add to -server, will
>> also re-add libmysqlservices.a to -server together with headers.
>

> Why are you going to hack the mariadb ports is such way? The MySQL 5.5 ports
> are so for a reason. From the original commit log:
>
> - new installation layout, resembling RPM packages:
>   - client = Client Utilities + Development Libraries + Shared components
>   - server = MySQL Server + Embedded

I've asked MariaDB developers about that and they advised that
libmysqlservices (and appropriate header files) are server development
part.
Plugins which need libmysqlservices are server plugins. There is
separate type of plugins which are client plugins, which have nothing
to do with libmysqlservices.

Basically I'm for having both mysql and mariadb ports semi-identical -
have same install layouts, so if you feel that layout you are using in
mysql55-* is better - it is easy to fix so that mariadb55 will
resemble it.

P.S. I've also noticed that you have .conf file in
"bin/mysqlaccess.conf" in mysql55-client - was that intentional?
Shouldn't it be placed somewhere like /usr/local/etc ?

--
Alexandr Kovalenko