Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:24:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SONY SMO-C501-09 not recognized under CAM

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...

> > > No, not yet.
> >
> > Well, try it out.  :)
>
> da5 at dpt0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
> da5: <SONY SMO-C501-00 2.07> Removable Direct Access SCSI-CCS device
> da5: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Error log overflow
>
> Yay.

Cool.  I'll have to figure out the best way to put that quirk in.  Until I
figure that out, that patch should work for you.

> eisa-test# camcontrol reset 2:3:0
> Reset of 2:3:0 returned error 0x6

That means CAM_REQ_INVALID.  Hmm.  I'll have to look into that one.  Maybe
the DPT driver doesn't support the BDR CCB?  Indeed, that's the case.  Oh
well.

> A somewhat different question for you...
>
> eisa-test# fdisk da5
> ******* Working on device /dev/rda5 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=153 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=153 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
>
> Media sector size is 1024
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 1, size 313343 (305 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
>         end: cyl 152/ sector 32/ head 63
>
> eisa-test# disklabel da5
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
> <on console>
> da5: cannot find label (no disk label)
> da5s4: cannot find label (no disk label)
> dscheck: b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 1024)
> da5: cannot find label (no disk label)
> da5s4: cannot find label (no disk label)
>
> No, this isn't because I've got 1024 byte sector media loaded though that
> fact that it cares about blocksize is strange.
>
> 'disklabel /dev/da5' shows stuff.
>
> eisa-test# disklabel -R -r da5 foo
> disklabel: No space left on device

It's probably giving you that because you've already got a label on the
device and you're trying to write a new one.

> eisa-test# disklabel -R -r /dev/da5 foo
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCWLABEL: Operation not supported by device
>
> I'm confused now.

Try the raw device instead.  Perhaps you can't write a label to a block
device.

If you want to get rid of the current label, this should do the trick:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda5 bs=64k count=1

If you really want the low-down on disklabel and slice stuff, ask Bruce.
I generally end up just messing with it until it works.  (I'm getting
better at it, though.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry