Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:46:23 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secondary DNS Transfers

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

* Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com> [20010825 15:49]: writing on the subje=
ct 'RE: Secondary DNS Transfers'
|=20
| >This won't guarentee that the zone actually was loaded by the secondary,
| >just that it transferred to it.
|=20
| Ted, you disappoint me.  :)))
|=20
| When the slave transfers the zone file, AND loads it (I=B4ve never heard =
of=20
| the two operations NOT occurring in conjunction, have you?), named will l=
og=20
| the name of the zone and the new serial number as it loads into=20
| authoritative memory.  Can=B4t get much better guarantee than that.
|=20
| >The very best way to test that the secondary is in operation WITHOUT
| >calling the admin is to simply shut down the primary namserver for a=20
| >couple of days.
|=20
| you=B4re having a bad day, Ted!! :))
|=20
| After looking in the slave=B4s named.run log file to confirm the zone has=
=20
| transferred and loaded, doubting Thomases can do this:
|=20
| dig @slave.dns  zone.in.question SOA
|=20
| and see immediately if the SOA s/n is same as on the master.  Using the=
=20
| "readable" ccyymmddxx format for the serial number facilitates checking.
             ^^^^^^^^^^
What is the cc in this case. I must have missed that in the book. My
serial numbers are of the format yymmddxx only ;-)

And to get more into this mix, I found this in my logs:

26-Aug-2001 12:32:38.622 MAXQUERIES exceeded, possible data loop in
resolving (www.symantec.com)

What the heck is MAXQUERIES and why is it being exceeded?

Thank you gurus!!

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something=
=20
else is more important than fear.=20
-Ambrose Redmoon=20

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb