Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:51:06 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DISKLESS does not work any more since update

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 09:05:47AM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> But why "two" times /etc? I deleted /etc in the diskless root, thought
> I need only one of them - but that was not true. I see that a lot of
> memory is consumpted by mounting several directories into it via mfs.
> How about saving memory?

No additional memory should be consumed, just the ordering has been
changed which was done to avoid the null mount.  The null filesystem
code lacks certain functionality that can easily lead to a system
panic.  For example, any program that makes an mmap() call can trigger
it (which is a lot of programs).

Just prior to 4.3-release, we slightly changed the way /etc is
populated to avoid the null mount, and more recently, modified that
procedure slightly to avoid having to create (and almost immediately
delete) a /tmp memory filesystem.  To avoid creating and deleting the
writable /tmp in rc.diskless1, however, we require that
/conf/default/etc be a complete copy of /etc because when the memory
filesystem is created over top of /etc, all of /etc disappears.  But
with a complete copy in /conf/default/etc, we can just copy all the
files back into place.

> Well, now all terminals work well although they take longer to
> bootstrap.

I'm very glad to hear your terminals are working.  I'm confused as to
why they take longer to bootstrap though.  The recent changes
shouldn't affect that in any substantial way.

-Brian