Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:55:46 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic DNS

Woah, what's this about Dynamic DNS?  Right now I have a cable modem
working with FreeBSD and I was thinking of having a smalll server on it.  I
know it migh be a no-no to do that, but I don't plan on having a killer 10
gigabyte a day transfer rate or anything like that.  I just wanted to setup
an ftp server and maybe a web server for educational purposes.

I also wanted to set up a subnet off this cable modem.  I was thinking
something in terms of this:

mediaone cable -----> my freebsd box gateway/ftp server/web server ----
(IPFW) ----> Windows Machine for my GF ----> another FreeBSD box for me

Can this be done?  I use wide-dhcp as my dhcp client.  But if I have a
dynamic IP and the dhcp client does all network work for me, how would I
know how to handle a routing table.  I've never networked before, so I'm
pretty much clueless on this.  Where can I get more info on the subject.  I
have the FreeBSD book here, but it doesn't cover dynamic IP network stuff
all that much.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Joey Bear Garcia