Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:23:06 +0100
From:      "A. Gruner" <bsd@encephalon.de>
To:        "fLiPp0" <fLiPp0@pandora.be>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: System requirements?

Hi.

> umm, my 486 will have 12mb RAM to use and 1.6gig and 500mb HD's. Maybe
I'll
> run a http or ftp server on it. Do you think this is possible?
> And do you have by any chance a URL where I can find picobsd?
> thnx

ram -->
FreeBSD 2.1.7 was the last version of FreeBSD that could be installed on a
4MB system. FreeBSD 2.2 and later needs at least 5MB to install on a new
system.
All versions of FreeBSD will run in 4MB of RAM, they just cannot run the
installation program in 4MB. You can add extra memory for the install
process, if you like, and then after the system is up and running, go back
to 4MB. Or you could swap your disk into a system which has >4MB, install
onto the disk and then swap it back.
see also -->
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#FOUR-MEG-R
AM-INSTALL

picobsd -->
http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
or just try www.google.com and search for "picobsd"

boot floppies -->
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/floppies/

how to use boot floppies -->
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html
(look at the end of the file)

Sorry about the wrong information about 16 MB RAM.

Axel