Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 1995 15:23:49 -0400
From:      "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
To:        pete@puffin.pelican.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Paul Richards: sysconfig routed setting

   In article <199507012057.QAA26175@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu> you write:

   >   HOSTS DO NOT NEED ROUTING INFORMATION.

   >What would you suggest that multihomed hosts do?

   He admits that *they* need routing information; what he doesn't consider
   is that all hosts on any network with more than one router needs routing
   information too, even though the host isn't multihomed.

I disagree.  First of all, he said that only `gateways' need routing
information, and multi-homed hosts are not (necessarily) gateways.
Secondly, it *is* plausible for single-homed hosts to rely on multiple
routers negotiating shortest paths and sending redirects -- provided
that there is a router discovery protocol so you don't get screwed
when one router goes down.  However, this still leaves multi-homed
hosts with inefficient and possibly incorrect routing.