Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 17:52:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        saxon <saxon@cydonia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic Reboot !!

>We have a system setup the following way.
>2 450Mhz pentiumII
>512M ram
>DPT raid controler
>RAID-5 Array
>Running 3.1 -STABLE.
>The other night we had an auto reboot but the system did not come up all
>the way, prompting a drive down to the place we colocate. Here is the txt
>that was on the screen when we got a monitor hooked up to the machine.
>BTW. There was nothing in any logs. Just what was on the screen.
>

>Kernel tral 12 with interrupts disabled
>
>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>mp_lock = 00000003; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
>
>fault virtual address		= 0xefff7118
>fault code			= supervidor read, page not present
>instruction pointer 		= 0x8:0xf0202d33
>stack pointer			= 0x10:0xfc106dd0
>frame pointer			= 0x10:0xfc106de8
>code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>				= DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags 		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
>current process			= Idle
>interrupt mask			= net tty bio cam <- SMP:XXX
>
>Kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
>stopped at	pmap_enter+0xa7:	moul 0(%ecx),%esi
>
>db>

   Not enough info in the above to diagnose the problem, but it might be
related to SMP bugs. If this happens again you might consider running with
a non-SMP kernel for awhile to see if it goes away.

>And what the heck is this     db>   thing ????  If anyone has any idea
>what all this means. I'd realy appreciate any advise.

   It means that someone configured the kernel with debugger support (not a
wise thing on a colo machine unless you have a serial console).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com