Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2000 16:11:28 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB probe messages -- are these 'ok'?

Hello John,

>  uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 5 at device 4.2 on pci0
>  usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
>  usb0: USB revision 1.0
>  uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
>  uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
>  uhub0: port 1 power on failed, IOERROR
>  uhub0: port 2 power on failed, IOERROR
>
> I'm most conerned about the last two. Is this simply telling me that since I
> didn't have anything plugged into my ports it couldn't "power on" a device
> sitting there? e.g. are these messages completely harmless?

Those were reported several times here, including me. There was no indepth
explanation, what the exact meaning of it is, but everybody stated that there
are no actual problems, some even could approve USB working fine.
So it is harmless. BTW, this error report was introduced between 4.0 Release and
4.1 Release.

Ciao
Siegbert