Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Rod Taylor <dark@idiotswitch.org>, mmeola@uswest.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My proposals for the future [Long]

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
> 5. An "elitist" attitude which discourages even very talented
>     potential contributors to the code base;

Ok, I can't claim to be even moderately talented but having transitioned
from a 'potential contributor' to an 'actual contributor' to a 'somewhat
active committer' over the period of about 2 months my perception of the
FreeBSD project is in direct opposition of this statement.

I've been encouraged and given help and guidance every step of the way.
Some has been 'this is the wrong way to do X.' stated very bluntly, that,
from an overly sensitive point of view could be taken as 'discouraging'
but isn't intended to be.  I believe this to be an artifact of mentors not
having the spare cycles to handhold and baby new committers.  I don't see
this as bad.

> 6. A shortage of contributors to handle known problems in the code
>     base (due to items 1 and 5 above); and

The rate of growth of the committer base is in line with the projects
ability to properly assimilate the new members.

There will always be a shortage of contributors.

I see a large part of your complaints as simple hand-waving.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |