Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:46:26 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: restore question

At 04:32 PM 11.15.2002 +0100, R. Zoontjens wrote:

>Jack L. Stone wrote,
>
>> Hard disks, at least IDEs are really inexpensive. Why not just keep a
>> second or third HD on your machine(s) to do backups.....??
>
>Environmental hazard... like fire e.g. or the server motherboard burns out,
>water damage, etc...
>I can take tapes to another location. I do not have the money to afford a
>hot-site :>
>
>Don't want my backups near something like this:
>http://www.radecom.nl/images/Fire.jpg
>
>Like the bible of backup/recovery says (Unix backup & recovery -- by Curtis
>Preston):
>
>1. Define (un)acceptable loss
>2. Back up everything
>3. Organize your backups
>--> 4. Protect against disasters
>5. Document
>6. test,test,test

While that may have been the bible, common sense should apply and also
times change. Last time I looked Tape drives and tapes were very expensive.
HDs have become cheap, but until a year or so ago, they were not so cheap.
This changes the dynamics while that "bible" remains static....

One can buy a 80GB HD for less than $100.00. A 40GB for about $70.00. How
much do tape drives & tapes cost..??? I do have tape for quick offsite
removal..... BUT, that tape is NOT as current as having a HD backup every
day or even several times a day. We're not talking about disaster programs
here, but backups and restores expeditiously.

Furthermore, I did not say one shouldn't use tapes too if they choose to.
Nor did I say I didn't keep backups offsite. One can never have too many
backups. But, if I want my CURRENT data to be backed up should my main HD
suddenly crash, I don't want to go looking for a tape backup to restore
that takes a long time and is not nearly as current.

Moreover, take a look, now there are accessories that are like drawers that
hold your HD so they slip right in and out. Even have a handle on the
front. What is to stop one from pulling out a HD from the backup server
that has the server backups...????

If one doesn't have the budget for extra HDs, then other methods must be
used obviously....

Common sense + backup/restore program + budget = solution (probably left
something out of that quick equation).

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator