Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:03:38 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, gclarkii@main.brewich.com
Subject:   Re: Motif question

> > site using SSH.  I've got a machine setup to do this already, so I don't
> > forsee any problems, but I am wondering if I actual do this if people
> > will voluntarily give up 'local access' to their sources and instead try
> > to move through a centralized tree on a remote site.
>
> With a reasonably slow link, I see this as a pain in the ass.

My link to our ISP is 2MB, and our ISP has dual T1's to the net.  We
just got our link upgraded, but that doesn't mean it still won't be
painful.

> However, I think the potential benefits (potentially) far outweigh the above.
> In suggesting a coordinated approach, I was getting ready to quickly duck
> if the hairy finger of responsability turned to point in my direction.

I'm willing to be the 'man in the middle' if I can get those folks
hacking on sources to agree to it.  That means you and Amancio most
recently, plus a guy in Japan and other folks who now seem willing to do
work. :)

> Sounds like you have a plan.

Great, I'm doing minor tweaks on the CVS tree right now.  However, I do
want to ask for a favor or someone with sources.

Currently in my tree I have committed:

1) JDK1.1
2) JDK1.1.2
3) JDK1.1.3

I also have access to JDK1.1.5, but I didn't get JDK1.1.4.  If someone
is willing to give me a copy of it, I'd like to import it *before* I
import JDK1.1.5, so we can see the revision history of things.  Then,
I'll import JDK1.1.5, and then we can apply the base FreeBSD patches and
go from there.  If no-one steps up to the plate and volunteers a copy of
JDK1.1.4 by tomorrow, then I'll go ahead and skip that step.

> Not having worked with one of these centralized CVS repositories before,
> initial concerns include:
>
> 	- what if someone has the file checked out I want?

CVS == Concurrent Version System (concurrent means in parallel, aka no
locks)
> 	- coordination of effort

Email.

> 	- resolution of conflicts (please: no #ifdefs)

Each developer is responsible for resolving conflicts within the tree.
So, if I commit some code, you can't commit until you 'update' your
local copy to my bits, thereby forcing you to resolve the problem.  If
you don't like my solution, you are free to simply ignore them
(essentially delete the new bits from your copy after it has been
updated) and commit a version over top mine, but that would have been
discussed in email and/or understandable given the commit message.

In practice it works quite well, and rewards the diligent coder since
the 'one who commits' to the tree wins. :)

Nate