Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:06:37 -0400
From:      Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   HA/Failover options

Hello...
I've recently been tasked with coming up with a redundant/failover firewall=
 solution to replace our managed firewalls. The goal is to have more contro=
l, and spen dless money. So, after some research I decided FreeBSD with ipf=
w and vrrp would do the trick. I set out to in stall and configure everythi=
ng. I noticed when trying to install vrrp from ports that it's been tagged =
forbidden, and confirmed this after searching the -security archives. The p=
roblem I'm running into is this. I grabbed the code that /usr/ports/net/vrr=
p would have, and built it, but the implementation has some problems. Once =
failed over (slave taking over for master), it does not fail back without i=
ntervention. If you down an interface with a vrid on it, somehow the vip st=
ays in the interface causing problems. My basic question is this. Is there =
anyone else out there running redundant/failover firewalls using freebsd? I=
f so, what are you running? I found one other piece of software at http://l=
inux-ha.org that said would build on freebsd, but no such luck. If anyone h=
as any ideas, pointers, products, or thwaps in the right direction, i'd app=
reciate them.

Thanks

Sean

--=20
Sean Lutner		  | www: http://www.rentul.net
e-mail: sean@rentul.net   | gpg: http://www.rentul.net/sean.sig

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein