Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:25:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use subversion to keep source, system and doc files up to date?

--2055831798-864707079-1348727106=:60743

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:12-0700, Ed Flecko wrote:

> I see that CVS is being phased out in favor of subversion.
>
> I follow the documentation to keep my system up to date by doing:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # shutdown -r now
>
> and then...
>
> # mount -u /
> # mount -a -t ufs
> # adjkerntz -i
> # mergemaster -p
> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot
>
> I've "pre-populated" my /usr/ports, /usr/src and /usr/src/sys
> directories when I installed my system.
>
> I've installed subversion from package, I want to follow the Stable
> (same as "Patch", right?) branch, and I'm struggling how to best use
> subversion to update my kernel source, system files, documentation,
> etc., so I can keep my system up to date.
>
> Can someone tell me how to use subversion to keep my /usr/ports,
> /usr/src and /usr/src/sys directories up to date?

This isn't really an answer to your question.

I switched from CVSup to Subversion for tracking base/stable/9 and
ports/head on one of my computers not long ago. I still use local CVS
for tracking my local changes. It works quite well without interfering
with each other. Also, CVS is very lightweight, in more than one
sense, compared to Subversion.

Make sure your /usr/src and /usr/ports directories does not contain
files and directories served by Subversion, they will hinder
extraction/updating when checking out a Subversion working copy on top
of the existing hierarchy.

Simply delete all non-local files, rename /usr/src/sys to, say
/usr/src/sys0, do the Subversion check out, and move your local files
back into place.

Depending on your needs, you might wanna set up a local Subversion
repo mirror. Here's my writeup on the subject:

http://ximalas.info/2012/09/09/making-your-own-freebsd-subversion-repository-mirror/

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |