Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:08:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ensel Sharon <user@dhp.com>
To:        Jahilliya <jahilliya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help - adaptec 2820sa not allowing installation

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Jahilliya wrote:

> > Ok, aac is in the dmesg.
> >
> > I can see both 2820sa cards in the dmesg, and I see no errors, etc. -
> > there are just no drives listed in dmesg.
> >
> > My setup is 8 500 Gb drives in a single raid-6 array, size ~2.8TB.  Any
> > problems with that ?  Perhaps sysinstall cannot deal with a >2TB drive
> > ?  There are no other drives in the system besides the single 2.8TB raid 6
> > array ...
> >

> Have you got any other drives you can attach to the raid?
>
> If so, disconnect the 8 drives connected, connect up a couple that are
> not part of the raid and configure them as a simple raid 1 and see if
> the installers sees that raid. Or try any combination in drives to
> bring the raid size down below 2TB (I'm sure this limitation has been
> fixed.)

Ok.  I will do this.

My original strategy was to:

1. create a ~2.8TB raid6 array out of 8 500GB drives

2. just make one big monster partition of the entire 2.8TB under
"partition" in sysinstall

3. under "label" in sysinstall, divide that into /, swap, /var and two
large data partitions, neither of which exceeds 2TB (since snapshos have
trouble over 2tb)

do you think the above srategy is reasonable ?