Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 05:12:07 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good practice for /tmp

Ceri,

> > From: Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
> > Mount /tmp then as MFS with a limited size.  Works nicely, for me.
>
> **boggle**

Not at all boggling. It's as simple as possible.

/dev/ad0s1b	/tmp	mfs	rw,async,noatime,-s=32768	0	0

> Swap mounted on an MFS /tmp ??
>
> **shudder**

No, that's the noise you hear when your program is trying to do fast small
I/O on your disk. With an mfs, it's more a smooth hum.

Working on the well-established premise that /tmp is is for small,
short-lived, non-persistent files with fast I/O and that /var/tmp (which
at times and places used to sometimes be /usr/tmp) is for a shared
persistent storage area for temporary files, /tmp on mfs/md and /var/tmp
on disk works perfectly.

Solaris does this by default, although it foolishly makes the whole VM
available for storage for all users. FreeBSD errs on the side of simple
conservatism out-of-the-box while allowing a bucketful of features.

What makes you uncomfortable?

-Andrew-