Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 17:04:50 -0400
From:      Graywane <graywane@home.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH accepts any RSA key from host 127.0.0.1, even on non-default ports

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 04:23:54PM -0400, Mipam wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:16:16PM +0300, Alex Popa wrote:
> > The reason why this bothers me is that I sometimes use ssh to tunnel ssh
> > connections (blowfish encryption in a 3DES tunnel, anyone?)
>
> Some ppl think that using encryption to encrypt allrdy encrypted data
> is dubble secure. This is in general certainly not true.
> Instead, sometimes it becomes only easier to crack it.
> So i wouldnt advice to use ssh in a ssh tunnel to aviod possible
> problems like that.

You are missing the point. Lets say you are connecting from machine A to
machine B using ssh. You setup a port forward so that connections to machine
B at port 9999 are forwarded to machine A at port 22. Now you connect from
machine C to port 9999 of machine B using ssh. As long as you trust ssh on
machine C and sshd on machine A then encrypting the second tunnel avoids
problems with the marginally trusted machine B (assuming you check your host
key fingerprints). It also allows you to bind sshd on machine A to 127.0.0.1
rather than 0.0.0.0

--
Note: See http://www.members.home.net/graywane/ for PGP information.