Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:34:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Mounting dos partitions

> I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how to get some of
> my dos partitions mounted, and before I waste a lot of time
> trying to figure out what is going on, I figured I'd ask first.
>
> I currently have two SCSI hard disks, partitioned as so:
>
> disk 0: the entire disk is my dos C drive (I can mount this drive
>         without any problems using mount -t msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt)
>
> disk1: the first 500MBs are an extended DOS partition, with two
>        logical dos partitions inside it which are my DOS D & E drives.
>
>        The last 500Mbs of the drive contain all of my FreeBSD filesystems.
>
> What I haven't been able to do is figure out how to mount the DOS D & E
> partitions under FreeBSD.  If I run 'fdisk' under FreeBSD on /dev/sd1d,
> it correctly reports that there are two partitions, each being 500Mbs.
> Running fdisk on /dev/sd1e correctly identifies my two logical DOS
> partitions and their layout.
>
> Is there something obvious I'm overlooking, or does the msdos mount
> code need to be modified to understand the extended/logical DOS
> partition stuff?
> --
> Mike Pritchard
> pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu
> "Go that way.  Really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn"

On 2.0, the support is not built in.  You can do it by figuring out the
sizes of the partitions and fixing the disklabel yourself.  The key is that
the logical partitions are offset into the extended partition by, I believe,
one sector.  With this info, you can mount logical partitions.

If you are not comfortable with playing with the disklabel, you may want
to wait for 2.1.  I am fairly sure it is supported in 2.1.  On the otherhand,
it is a fairly good way to learn.  Make a backup of your disklabel, though.

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com