Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:25:03 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help - New user

This might help you...
And bieng a Windozzz guy ( I am too to a great extent) let us start with
saying you are running Win9x...not NT because NT doesn't agree with one of
the steps.

Thus spake Mike (Mike.Wemyss@xtra.co.nz):

> Hi,
>
> I have a spare pc which I would like to install some version of UNIX/LINIX
> on so I can learn a bit more about it. I come from a limited programming
> background and have some experience in supporting Microsoft systems so I
> know a little about what to do. My delema is which release of FREEBSD would
> best suit me, further to that what files I need to download from the ftp
> site ftp://ftp.nz.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/

get to
ftp://ftp.nz.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.5.1-RELEASE/floppies
Grab kern.flp and mfsroot.flp
Then go to the /FreeBSD/tools and grab rawrite.exe
Get and reformat 2 new 1.44MB floppies, making sure they have NO bad
sectors. Label the floppies as KERN.FLP and MFSROOT.FLP
Put all these in a folder and then go to command prompt
Have the KERN floppy in the drive
Execute rawrite and when prompted enter kern.flp
Then once more and enter msfroot.flp
Here it is a matter of following instructions

Once done and assuming that you succeeded, do the following:
Connect your old pc to your hub (I am assuming you have a relatively fast
Internet access), insert the kern floppy and power it..
It's BIOS should be configured to have floppy as first boot device.
It will prompt you for the MSFROOT floppy
After a few minutes it will prompt you to configure the kernel. Since you
say you are new here, skip the kernel config and get going....(BTW UNIX is
also PnP like your Windows and it also has a limitation with supported
hardware just like WinNT has HCL)

From that point try to be wise but since you are not gonna lose anything
anyway, you can play and play until you get it right. If you tell me what
your old box is made of..the Network card, VGA, Mouse, Keyb, CDROM, HDD
then I can still advise you further...

The whole install process takes time depending on your connection speed.
You should install via FTP from the same server..it is never too loaded!
Alternatively you can get to Freebsdmall.org and buy the CDROM which will
make your life easier if your BIOS supports booting off the cdrom.

Finally the basic reason you'll want to start from 3.x and not 4.x would
be something to do with the device naming conventions used in the latter,
which is what would get a Windows guy sad but again suppose you were born
in the year 2010 and there was no more 3.X FBSD, wouldn't you just get
whatever is there and continue?? Which boils down to the fact that you
can go even with FBSD 4.x I really see no reason why you shouldn't start
here... but get used to wd0 wd1 etc then later get to ad0 ad1....

I hope that helps but you can always come back...;-)

-Wash

> I'm used to downloading one file or folder and having a "setup" file to use
> to install, component based systems are new to me, I did begin to stumble my
> way through the 4.0 release, but one of the "readme" files suggested that I
> would be better off with release 3.x
>
> I would really appreciate some advice on what release I would be best using.
> Also some quick instructions on what files/folders I should be downloading
> from the FTP site for installing what ever a basic/learning user would
> require.
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Mike

Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator
Inter-Connect Ltd.
3rd Flr The Chancery
Valley Rd
PO Box 39519 Nairobi
Tel: 254 2 711140
Fax: 254 2 718418

An adequate bootstrap is a contradiction in terms.