Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:26:02 -1000
From:      David Orman <david.orman@orbisphere.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:    problems with wi / hostap / clients w/ powersaving mode, freebsd 4.x

Hi,

	I've got a rather big problem right now, causing a lot of issues for a
lot of people. We've searched google / fbsd-mobile / etc, and have had
no luck. We all use m0n0wall, which is based on freebsd 4.x. Lots of us
use it as an AP for clients. The problem we are encountering is related
to using wireless cards inside our embedded pcs instead of a separate
AP. Whenever clients have power-saving mode enabled on their wireless
cards, they cannot use the wireless connection, there is extreme
connectivity issues. In my searching, I've noticed this seems to be a
known issue with wi / hostap. I've heard rumors of a fix for this
problem, but have been unable to find it. I and all other m0n0wall
users would be greatly appreciative if anybody has any information on
these troubles! Unfortunately, tellings the clients to turn off power
saving mode is a non-option, they can't load the website since the
connection is bad so even with a captive portal message asking them to,
they'd never see it. Thank you for your time. :)

Respectfully,
David Orman