Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:20:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting articles published (Was merging thread)

> Could it be possible for someone to give a few tips on writing articles that
> are going to be taken seriously by whatever media you're likely to submit it
> to?

Write a good outline.  That's the most important hook for any editor.
After that, you can evolve the story with his/her help.

> However, besides my experience running and maintaining a student server with
> an active userbase of approximately 450, I don't think I have much
> credentials, especially since I'm only 20, and have only been using computers

Actually, articles citing practical experience are much valued by
magazines since they can speak with more authority to the readership
on whatever sysadmin topic is being discussed.  My advice is to go for
it and if you don't succeed the first time or two, don't get discouraged
and keep trying.  This is the kind of task which practice and experience
can only improve. :)

- Jordan