Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:16:06 -0700
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file system setup for new system - recommendations?

stheg olloydson wrote:

> it was said:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Today I sent an order
>>to Newegg for
>>a second Seagate 120GB drive ($101.05 including tax
>>& shipping).
>

> <snip>
>
>>Now to learn more about grofs(8); I wasn't aware of
>>that
>>capability at all. I was one of the first users of
>>CP/M and
>>begrudgingly went to DOS; I was a "power user" of
>>DOS for years.
>

> <snip>
>
> Hello,
>
> If you are going to use multiple drives, look into
> vinum(8). It is can effectively do what growfs(8)
> does, but in a much more powerful way and gives you a
> plethora of additional features.
>
> HTH,
>
> Stheg
>
> P.S. I loved CP/M! MS-DOS is "derived" from it, a
> rather sordid story there....

Stheg,

I have been alerted to vinum, thanks. I'm going to make
the installation of the new drive simple, but perhaps in
the future I'll set one drive up under vinum and learn
about it. There's too much to learn all at once!

On CP/M. Remember IOBYTE? Try to make that work in today's world.
Or PIP? Ouch. The system was simple and useful at the time.

Jay
Rio Linda, CA, USA

PS.. Where are you?