Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:55:36 PDT
From:      "Jane Frodo" <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
To:        jegelhof@cloud9.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS

>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Jane Frodo wrote:
>
>> This is what *really* freaks me: I can check the binding on ypwhich,
>> and I can see the NIS maps using all the standard tools, but the
clients
>> can't seem to use them for logging in or changing passwords...
>
>First, you should upgrade your machines from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7.  We had a
lot
>of problems with yp on 2.2.5 that all went away with 2.2.6 (and 2.2.7).

I have been holding out for 3.0...

>1) Do a ypcat master.passwd as root and see if you see the passwords.

yes. I see the full passwords, on those accounts that have them.

 Try
>doing a finger -m username and make sure you see appropriate
information.

Yes.  Exactly correct for each of the ones I tried ( a random
smattering of the 300 or so records)

>This way we will at least know you really are getting the maps
correctly.

>2) If you installed the special DES package on the NIS master, you must
>also install that package on the NIS clients.  Otherwise the machines
will
>not be able to check entered passwords against the password file.

I have installed all five boxes here, and I installed Kerberos,
and DES on all of them.  Just to be sure, I checked the
"native" passwords on each machine, and none of them are
using the $1 headers, they all look to be of the same type.

 The
>comparisons fail without any kind of warning or notice, which some
people
>might consider a bug.

Yes, I would consider it a bug... BillG. would probably consider
it a feature, and charge extra for it... :)

>-james

Jane