Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 14:52:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > > Is this the "write with no permission truncate" or what?  What is this
> > > NFS write problem?
> >
> > The symptom is that processes block while waiting for writes to complete,
> > sometimes for as long as several *minutes*.  For a system which is taking
> > hundreds of hits per minute, this quickly blows the system sky-high.
>
> Ah.  So the hangs are on the client.
>
> The NFS protocol definition is that the writes must complete before the
> call returns to the user process.

Yes, yes, I know.  That's not the problem.

> There are three ways to solve this problem:

You're assuming the server is too slow.  Demonstrably NOT TRUE -- a BSDI
machine on the same network with 10x the I/O load of the FreeBSD machine
does *NOT* exhibit the problem.

> 2)	Server caching.  The operation is returned completed by the
> 	server, which then starts an async event, but no completion
> 	routine is associated with the event.
>
> 	This is dangerous for similar reasons of data integrity.
>
> 	Server caching is disallowed by the NFS design document unless
> 	the state can be maintained across a server failure.  This
> 	means log structuring with log data sotred in non volatile
> 	memory (ala Auspex, etc.) so the transaction may be rolled
> 	forward.
>
> 3)	Increase the number of nfsiod's on the server.  This will allow
> 	more concurrent operations to be outstanding at one time.
>
> 	This is allowed (encouraged) by the NFS design document.
>
> Number 3 is well within your control.

Number 3 is irrelavent (the number of NFSIODs), as is the setting of
NFS_ASYNC in the kernel (which SHOULD make a difference).

Again, there is a *bug* here which causes these deadlocks.  It is not a
server performance issue, and is readily reproducable in a large web server
environment such as we have here.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's *Three STAR A* Clarinet feed!