Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:02:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, julian@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem corruption ?

Martin Blapp wrote:
> It looks more and more to me that pmap does something wrong.
> I get pmap related vm crashes or corruption, relating in
> filesystem corruption.
>
> I had about 3-4 different panics. Mozilla build tends to prefer
> "panic: bad link count", openoffice prefers page faults in ffs code ;)
>
> But these options here are enabled:
>
> options        DISABLE_PSE
> options        DISABLE_PG_G
>
> Are there any options I could also add and try ? Page coloring etc ?
>
> You remember, I had SIG4 and SIG11 over and over until
> I used these options. The builds run fine by then,
> I had no panics at all anymore. I was happy.

[ ... ]

There have been a number of panics reported recently on -current,
which seem to be repeatable on ATA drives, but not on SCSI drives.

A casual perusal of the code seems to indicate that a soft failure
in the paging path will be treated as a hard failure in the ATA
case, instead of retried, but I haven't confirmed this by writing
the code to tape and running the tape between my fillings (i.e. I
have not intensly scrutinized the code, it just looks like it is
that way).

UnixWare had a similar bug in th ATA retry code, only it's FS,
when a soft error was treated as hard, would start marking the
sectors gone, so maybe you should consider yourself lucky... ;^).

Last I heard,the ATA maintainers were looking into reproducing
the problem, with no luck yet.  Check the -current archives, and
volunteer to be a guinea pig (that's my best suggestion at present,
unless you can retry with a SCSI drive instead, and see if the
problems disappear).

You might also try playing with the ATA DMA and tag options (see
NOTES/LINT for what you can turn off that way), and the ATA sysctl's
(most are required to be done at boot time, but a "sysctl -a | grep ata"
will list them out for you to try manually in the boot loader).

-- Terry