Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:26:23 -0800
From:      "Brent Bowman" <bbowman@vistacraft.com>
To:        bob88@eng.ufl.edu, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Re: Install on 486 with floppy reboots after mfsroot

Oh boy, I guess that I've either got to find more RAM, find an
older/stripped down version of FreeBSD, or give up.

I looked around a little, how would I find a skinnier version
of FreeBSD for this old box.

Also, does anybody have any ideas (besides ebay) on how I would
find some really old 60ns SIMMS for that box for cheap?

Thanks so far, you've been quite responsive.

Brent

Warren Block wrote:

>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> This is likely the problem.  The install needs more than 8M,
somewhere
>> between 12 and 16M last I heard.
>>
>> If it helps, I have a Valuepoint 486 DX2/66 with 32M of RAM
that runs
>> 4.8 flawlessly.
>>

>I've got 4.9 running on a 486/33 with 20 MB of RAM, so if you
can scrape
>up that much it should be sufficient.  It works fine as a personal
mail
>server with Courier, except that the IMAP folders containing
over 10,000
>messages cause huge amounts of thrashing when I open them.
Takes