Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:22:59 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Benedikt Stockebrand <bs_13969_50203@adimus.de>
Cc:        Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: Why is root's crontab different?

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 11:45:28AM +0100, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net> writes:
>
> > /etc/crontab duplicates the role of the user crontabs, but anyway I
> > think it's more
> > convenient to have all the necessary system crontab entries in one file.
>
> Aside from that it's a Good Thing[TM] to keep all configuration files
> in /etc --- putting them in /var will bite you as soon as you have to
> recover from a disk crash and find out you've never bothered to dump
> /var (including assorted spools and log files).  And /var has a way
> stronger tendency to get messed up on a system crash than / has.

If you've lost /var, isn't it probably a good thing that cron isn't
running? You probably have more important things to worry about :)

Turning your argument around, if it _is_ desirable to have crontabs available
with a minimal number of filesystems mounted, why not move /var/cron to
/etc/cron and dispense with /etc/crontab? It's not as if crontabs are so
variably-sized to really merit living in /var.

We seem to have taken the same approach with /etc/namedb, which I have
seen more often located in /var/named... But maybe that's just me. I don't
know the history of this one.

Just an idea anyway :)

Joe