Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 18:28:50 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mysql install problem

Defryn, Guy wrote:
> I have been trying to install mysql on my freebsd box and it does not seem to work. I cannot use the ports on this box
>
> I have followed everything step by step as described in three books/manuals
>

> -I  downloaded mysql-3.23.49-unknown-freebsdelf4.4-i386.tar.gz from the mysqlsite and copy it to /tmp directory
>
> -I ran tar tzvf mysql-3.23.49-unknown-freebsdelf4.4-i386.tar.gz and a directory with the same name gets created
>
> -According to my manuals the following steps are to run ./ configure -prefix=/usr/local/mysql and than the commands make and make install.
>

> The configure scripts run but a /usr/local/mysql does not get created and it won't let me run make and make install.

Gonna need some error messages in order to give any kind of reasonable help.
Before that, however, do the instructions say that you need gmake?  If so,
install gmake first, then use gmake instead of make.

> Does any know how can get it to go? Also how can I delete non-empty directories?

Why not just use /stand/sysinstall to install a precompiled package? Much easier.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology