Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:40:13 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Information on imap-uw

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:33:37PM -0600, RikScarborough wrote:
> Is anyone using UW for IMAP and POP3?  I've installed it, but at the end
> of the install it warned that there were some security errors.  Can
> anyone give me some more information on that?
>
> Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I don't know this specific port, but if the install of any port involves
the creation of setuid programs you always get a warning that they
are a *potential* security risk. Which they are by definition. The
warnings are there so a)you are aware of this and b)a sort of disclaimer
saying you cannot blame anyone else if you run them and something
happens.

Having said that there are still many programs that will not function
without this. I know of no specific problems with this port, but I am
sure if there are any others will tell you !

You can probably be pretty certain there are no known security holes
in the current ports. If they are found they usually get plugged PDQ,
or the port may even be regressed to an earlier safer one. FreeBSD is
a highly security conscious system.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>