Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 08:04:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, nate@sri.MT.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Named and Reverse DNS lookups

> Joe wrote:
>
> > > The recommended way to do that (there must be an internet draft on the
> > > subject), is to use CNAMEs, in a way similar to the following.
> > Anyways this does NOT work on the BIND distributed with FreeBSD
> > 2.0.5R or 2.1R.  You will probably need the latest BIND code.
>
> Are you sure it doesn't work with those versions of BIND?  The posting
> you quoted is included in the DNS FAQ from comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains,
> with a date of "Sun Nov 27 23:32:41 EST 1994".  Surely our version of
> BIND in 2.1R (and probably 2.0.5) is newer than that.

I had reason to play with it around the time 2.1R came out, I couldn't get
it to work, and someone on either the BIND list or the domains newsgroup
confirmed that the BIND in FreeBSD did not support it.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong, of course, because we need things
like this.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968