Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:47:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No IDE CD-ROM support in recompiled kernel

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 11:20:33PM -0400, Donald R. Tyson wrote:
> Mark --
>
> Thanks -- I should have mentioned that I tried that, with no
> luck.   Don Tyson

One thought. Have you got a disc in the CD when booting? I've seen
messages in -questions about CD-ROMs not being found if there is
no disk in the drive.

Failing that it's got to be something you removed from the kernel.
Post your HOMEBASE config file (you did just comment out the unwanted
options and not delete them didn't you? I've only got a 3.1 GENERIC)
and I'll take a look.

> > > I just know I'm missing something really basic here, but would
> > > appreciate any hints you might have.  I recompiled my
> > > 2.2.8-RELEASE GENERIC kernel, and while I've reduced the kernel size
> > > in half, and shortened the time from boot prompt to login prompt, I
> > > cannot seem to get cdrom support in my recompiled kernel.
> > > (The GENERIC kernel, which I configured using the visual
> > > configuration tool at time of first install,
> > > has cdrom support and works fine.)
> > >
> > > I have an ATAPI cdrom;  I have device wcd0 in my new kernel
> >
> > If your CD is on the second IDE channel have you left
> >
> > controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
> >
> > enabled?
> >
> [snipped]

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.