Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:26:25 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, dcs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loader badly broken on the alpha

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I think I had determined (I thought) that it was just loader itself, but I
> could be wrong.

The problem is that the loader is now too large, it cannot fit inside the
~208K window that boot1 has got available to it.

peter@ashburton[12:14am]/home/obj/home/src/sys/boot/alpha/loader-130# nm loader.sym | sort | tail -1
000000002003e190 A end

The VM space ends at 2004000.  I can't find where, but I was pretty sure that
the last 8K page was already spoken for and we've clobbered it.

Was the pnp stuff added to the Alpha loader images?  That is what probably
tipped it over the edge.

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
> > Ok, first thing I need to know is whether the problem is with .4th files
> > or .c files. The changes to both are independent of each other, so:
> >
> > 1) Try the last working loader with the most recent forth/* files.
> > 2) Try the most recent loader with the last working forth/* files.
> >
> > Hopefully, only one is broken.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> > dcs@newsguy.com
> > dcs@freebsd.org
> > capo@the.secret.bsdconspiracy.net
> >
> > 	"I demand that my picture show a handsome face, even if it doesn't look
> > like me."

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Cheers,
-Peter