Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:07:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: still can't upgrade using make install world

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi Kent
>

>>Well, that only works on smmsp after you finish the installworld. If
>>it is dying before then, you have to use the version in /usr/obj to do
>>the addition.
>>

> What do you mean when you say "use the version in /usr/obj". You mean
> execute 'mergemaster -p' in the /usr/obj dir if the 'make installworld'
> doesn't even start up? Just want to clarify so i don't miss potential
> important info.

You are going to have to check the -stable archives on this. The
alternative is to cd into mergemaster and make it. The section in UPDATING

 >and will fail if the new user and group do not exist.  The 'smmsp'
 >user and group must be merged from src/etc/group and
 >src/etc/master.passwd before using 'make installworld'.
 >'mergemaster -p' will do this.  You may need to install
 >mergemaster before this will work if you are updating from a
 >very old version of stable.  This can be done with:
 >cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make all install [clean]

gives you another way by making and installing the new mergemaster. I

think the clean has been removed because it kills the install later.

This has been covered many times in -stable. Now that you have
successfully upgrade to 4.6, your old mergemaster will let you do the
-p and you probably don't need to know where the new one is located..

> Just for sanity check, the /etc/make.conf file i used is just a blank file.
> I did this because matt said something like:
>
> "That is actually one of the few files that you can just copy out of
> /etc/defaults to /etc and not come to grief.  If you look at
> /etc/defaults/make.conf, you'll see that all the entries are actually
> commented out: they're just there to document what's available.  It
> also means that you could just create an empty file for /etc/make.conf
> without ill effects, but it's more usual to put some local
> configuration in there."
>
> Um... so am i potentially messing stuff up? The reason i ask is because
> another person said:
>
> "It is a VERY important file as it affects your "makes".....
> hmmm...."make.conf" is an apt name."
>
> which i didn't really quite understand. So, my make.conf is empty right now,
> but it should really have stuff specific to my pc?

I think all /etc/make.conf files should have "NOPROFILE=true" because
this saves a lot of time during the build and it has been 10 years
since I profiled a program. I also tell it to build the COMPATxx's. I
have open-motif installed and have "HAVE_MOTIF=yes". I have specified
the FLAGS in the past but now only use the default "-O -pipe". I have
added my KERNCONF entries. This lets me say "make kernel" if I wanted
to. Since, I want to log the build and install in different files in
my /var/log/build directory, I run them separately. The log files add
up over time and my /var fs is 1.5GB. You can tell what you have done
by looking the your command history. I can also tell by looking at my
log files. It is too easy to make a typo and everything from
buildworld to installworld are shell scripts. If I make a typo, the
script doesn't run. I use csh because all I have to do is type "h",
which is aliased to "history 25". I added cpu related entries to all
of my machines and then removed them. The big change there isn't going
to occur until we are running gcc-3.x.

> Okay... looks like, it finished... i'm going to run 'mergemaster' and see
> how it goes (backing up /etc/ first this time though) tomorrow evening. If i
> have any problems, i'll just send out an email to this list.
>
> Just one more question, is there anything that i can do after the upgrade to
> make sure the upgrade is all good, like just some sanity checks to make sure
> that i'm all uptodate with the latest stable realease. Like, when i reboot,
> it said freebsd 4.6 even before i ran the 'make installworld'.

But that is because you had a 4.6 kernel. My system says

coral# uname -a
FreeBSD coral.kbs.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #43: Sun Aug  4
12:01:41 PDT 2002     root@coral.kbs.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CORAL  i386

It was upgraded on Sunday. It is a machine that gets upgraded if it
looks like stable is even remotely broken. A buildworld only takes 20
minutes and if I can do a buildworld, your failed buildworld is
probably something funny on your system. It doesn't help you if yours
doesn't work but it narrows the search. It is updated frequently and
doesn't help someone that is as far out of date as your was.

When you finish the install and are running in multi-user mode, run
"top". It seems to be very sensitive to userland and kernels being out
of synch. I am pretty well programmed to doing the installkernel and
installworld at one sitting. The installworld on coral is less than 4
minutes from booting to single user and running mergemaster. Beyond
using top, the real test is to use your machine with the new system.

> Thanks a bunch Kent :)

You're welcome.

Kent

--