Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:33:03 -0500
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DNS questions

Greetings,
am running 4.3-release.

Have been trying to install/configure qmail, which has lead
me to DNS.  Our internal LAN does not use DNS for name
resolution.  We have hosts files that are populated with
machine addresses and names.  Not the best, but working.

I have been thinking about setting up the following:

setup a machine on our internal LAN to be the primary DNS for
our private IP's (192.168.1.x).  (Our lan is connected to the
internet through a gateway running FreeBSD 4.0 with ppp -auto
-nat.  So, currently the network clients have our ISP's
primary & secondary DNS servers setup on their machine.)

This new DNS server would resolve our local private IP's and
forward any unknowns to our ISP's primary DNS server.  Is this
possible?  Is there any online pointers/tutorials for this ?

thanks,
Darryl